We do not appoint individuals to write through the Facility because we are not an insurance company. However, Chapter 12 of the Michigan Insurance Code permits licensed agents who are appointed by an insurance company writing auto casualty insurance in Michigan to submit applications to the Facility for placement and receive commissions. Before we can send the agent the necessary forms to place business through the Facility, the agent must submit a request for registration through the MAIPF website. After we verify the information for newly appointed licensed agents (not solicitors), we will mail a starter kit.

Individuals placing business through the Facility are recognized as producers of record. Facility applications state that the producer of record is not acting on behalf of the Facility or any insurance company, but is acting on behalf of the applicant.

Please note that producers may only submit applications for those casualty lines that his or her voluntary carrier(s) has appointed him or her to write. If a producer does not have a voluntary carrier or the producer's license has been suspended or revoked, then he or she is not authorized to place business through the Facility and is not entitled to receive commissions.

Agencies that submit business to the Facility using a federal identification number must make certain that any producer who signs any of the Facility forms as the producer of record is licensed and authorized. The federal identification number for the agency should appear in the Tax ID box and the license system ID number should appear next to the licensed producer's name on the back of the application.

Once the Facility receives the application from the producer of record, the Facility forwards it to the servicing carrier. The servicing carrier then issues the policy using Facility rules and rates, handles premium billings, makes policy changes, and handles claims.

Other questions concerning a JUA policy should be made to the servicing carrier that issued the policy. For the address and phone numbers of the servicing carrier's claims and underwriting offices, just click on the name of the servicing carrier.